The new “Support for Learners” program provides a one-time payment to parents or guardians to help offset costs during the 2020 -2021 school year.
Eligible parent or guardians who apply will receive a one-time payment of:
- $200 for each child up to age 12
- $250 for each child or youth up to age 21 with special needs
A child with special needs is:
- any student reported to be receiving special education programs or services by their school board
- any child enrolled in licensed childcare reported to be receiving special needs funding or support
- any child identified as having a special need
To be eligible, the child does not need to be enrolled in school or childcare. More specifically, you are eligible if your child:
- attends a publicly funded school
- attends a private school
- attends a First Nation operated or federally operated school
- attends school in-person or online
- is homeschooled
- is enrolled in childcare
- is at home
A separate application must be made for each child and only one parent or guardian can make an application for each child.
To make the application, the following information will be required to be provided:
- the name of your child’s school and school board (if applicable)
- your child’s date of birth
- a valid email address
- your banking information
The payments will be made either by e-transfer or direct deposit. If you choose to receive your money through e-transfer, there will be no requirement to provide your banking information.
If you do not want to receive your money through direct deposit or e-transfer and need a cheque, you can make a special request in your application, but it will take longer to receive your payment.
It will take approximately two weeks to receive the payment after the application is made.
More information and the link to make the application can be found on the Government of Ontario website here:
For further information and advice, please contact your KB advisor.