My Business Account registration using a CRA user ID and password

1. To get started, go to and select “CRA register”. 

2. To validate your identity, enter your social insurance number (SIN), then click “next”. 

Note: A temporary tax number (TTN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN) can also be used as long as you have previously filed a Canadian Tax Return.



3. Enter your postal code or zip code, date of birth, and an amount you entered on one of your income tax and benefit returns from the current tax year, or the previous one. Then click “next”. 



4. Select how you would like to complete your registration. This step is essential to gain full access to My Business Account.


a. Delivery by Mail

If this option is selected, simply click “next” and confirm your current postal code or ZIP code (this should be the same postal code or ZIP code that is on file with CRA). The CRA security code will be mailed to the address CRA have on their file. You should receive it in the mail within 5-10 business days. 




b. Document Verification Service


Document verification service (DVS) is an alternative identity validation option that allows Canadians to register for and access the CRA sign-in services in real-time. DVS provides the option for digital identity validation through document verification when registering for the CRA’s sign-in services. Canadians choosing this option will no longer need to wait up to 10 business days to receive a CRA security code by paper mail in order to register and access the CRA sign-in services. The process requires a mobile device to take a picture of the user’s government-issued photo identification and of themselves to verify their identity. The following are the requirements for this service:


·        Be 16 years of age or older

·        Have an accepted government-issued document

·        Have a mobile device with a working camera


The following original government-issued documents are accepted:

·        Canadian passport

·        Canadian driver’s license

·        Provincial/Territorial photo ID card



5. The next step will be to create a CRA user ID and password. Input your User ID and password then click “next”.



6. Select and answer five security questions, then click “next”.



7. Review security questions and answers and click “next”.


8. Review and agree to the terms and conditions of use by entering your password and selecting
“I agree”.


9. Registration is now complete. If you registered via CRA security code, you would have to wait until
you receive your CRA security code before you can complete your registration. Once
you received the code, log in and enter it to complete the registration.


10. Review and agree to the My Business Account terms and conditions of use.


11. Then provide your nine-digit business number.


12. You should now have full access to My Business Account. Note: If you received an error message that you are not a recognized owner of the business, this means that your SIN is not linked to your business number(s). To link your SIN with your business number, kindly follow the below steps:

a.      To update the information right away, you will have to call CRA at 1-800-959-5525 (within Canada and the United States) or at 613-940-8497 (from outside Canada and the United States), choose option 6 and update information with the CRA agent. CRA will ask you confidentiality questions. These are the questions that CRA normally asks:

                                                    i.     The business number and full legal name of the business

                                                   ii.     Business address

                                                  iii.     Information regarding recent tax return filed. (For T2 returns, they usually ask amounts on line 300, line 700 and line 770)

                                                  iv.     If the business hasn’t filed any tax return yet, CRA will usually ask questions regarding the business’ incorporation (i.e., date of incorporation, jurisdiction of the corporation and corporation number)


b.      Alternatively, we can send a written request to the tax centre (please note that sending a written request could take up to 2-4 weeks to be processed). The letter should be signed and dated by the owner and must have the following information:

                                                    i.     Business name and business number (We can send one letter for all the business accounts owned by the same individual)

                                                   ii.     Owner’s SIN, date of birth, address, and phone number